Monday, February 28, 2011
10 Things I Love About Broome
Nath has been shortlisted for a job in Broome he applied for. His interview is tomorrow, and it is very difficult for me to NOT jump the gun and start packing my bags (although I must admit to having done an inventory of every room, preparing for a big pre-moving clean out!)
The next best thing for me, then, is to spend large amounts of my day dreaming about the next chapter of our life (fingers crossed!) and remembering all the things I loved about Broome when we were there a few years ago, and missed when we left.
1) Obviously, the beaches. Cable Beach is truly one of God's greatest triumphs and every bit as good as the glossy pictures you see in travel magazines.
2) Broome Courthouse Markets: an explosion of colour, smell, sounds.... everything the soul needs! A mecca for a hippy like me.
3) The Kimberley Bookshop: one of the best bookshops I have ever been to. Obviously this will be out of bounds this year whilst I am still on my buying ban, but I am sure it will be visited in the future!
4) The cocktails: especially the mango ones. I dare not try a mango cocktail anywhere else! These ones came from the Sand Bar and Grill (as it was) right on the beachfront on Cable Beach.
5) The Sun Outdoor Pictures: established in 1916, this is a still-operating relic of old pearling times in the region. I love sitting on the old sling-back deck chairs, as uncomfortable as they are, and soaking up the balmy Broome atmosphere.
6) Divers Tavern: not the flashest bar in town but it brings back memories of wilder, younger days and girlie trips with my teaching friends.
7) Fishing at Town Beach: when we were broke and travelling, this beach was a regular spot for us, trying to catch ourselves a free feed.
8) The Waifs 'Take It In' - my all time favourite song from my all time favourite band, about my all time favourite part of the world.
9) The food - of course! Whilst in Broome I ate crocodile and goanna for the first time... and one of my favourite little Italian places - Cafe Carlotta is tucked away in a quiet corner of Broome, waiting for my return!
10) Our best mate Luke who moved to Broome recently - we can't wait to see you and are looking forward to more adventures with you.