Friday, January 28, 2011

From My Kitchen.


I made this pavlova for an Australia Day barbecue we went to. The recipe called for six egg whites. Eggs are a bit scarce in our kitchen at the moment - we believe we have a snake or something similar stealing the eggs from our chicken coop. Even the eggs that our clucky silkie bantam was sitting on have disappeared.


With this in mind, I wasn't keen to use the whites of six eggs and dispose of the yolks. So I decided to try my hand at mayonnaise. I haven't made it before, and it was a project I had been intending on attempting for months, but have felt slightly daunted by (possibly because there is a bit of a Masterchef connection to homemade mayonnaise in my mind!)

I used Julie Goodwin's recipe, which I will post below. My mayonnaise is very yellow, but my backyard hens lay eggs with the most beautiful rich yellow yolks, so this was to be expected. The recipe called for extra light olive oil (this efers to the colour of the oil, not its fat content) but I only had regular extra virgin olive oil. I believe the taste of the mayonnaise would be improved with extra light oil, but, having said that, I quite enjoy the batch I have made!


Julie Goodwin's Mayonnaise
 (I doubled this recipe)
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup extra light olive oil
salt and ground white pepper, to taste
up to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
I added some fresh crushed garlic

Place the egg yolks and vinegar into a food processor and switch it on.
Add the olive oil a few drops at a time. When the mixture begins to thicken, add the oil in a steady flow until it is all incorporated.
Season with salt and pepper, and add lemon juice (and garlic) to your taste. 
Keep in the fridge for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...