Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Dawning Awareness

A few weeks ago, I embarked on a journey, dragging my beautiful family along behind me. Faced with the impact that I, as the major 'purchaser' in our family, have on this Earth, I no longer feel as if I can bury my (consuming addicted) head in the (plastic-ridden) sand.

In addition to this, it has become apparent that my children are sensitive to food additives. In researching healthier alternatives and strategies to reduce chemical consumption in our diets, I was struck by how many of our purchasing and consuming decisions have a negative effect, not only on our own health, but on the health of our Earth.

I am beginning to see that the closer to the source our food is, the better for our bodies and the planet. I am also beginning to see that as purchasers, we have the power to make a significant difference - individually, locally and globally.


This blog will be a record as I continue down this path of environmental awareness. I am new to this, I will fumble, I will learn things that are second nature to others who have gone before me. I have a long way to go, but I am going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...