Monday, November 22, 2010

Home Made Tomato Sauce


This sauce is just so delicious... I will never buy tomato sauce from the shop again.
I adapted Sally Wise's recipe from her book "Out Of The Bottle". My adaptations are in green.

Ingredients

6 kg fresh, ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 kg onions, peeled and chopped (I used red onions, as I like their flavour)
750g sugar (I used raw sugar)
2 cups white wine or cider vinegar (I used organic brown rice vinegar, because that is what I had in the cupboard!)
120g cooking salt
1 1/2 tablespoons whole cloves (I ground these in the mortar and pestle, along with a whole star anise)
1 1/2 allspice berries (I just used ground allspice) 
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used a very ready dried chilli instead)
1 tablespoon tamarind paste

Combine all ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil, then simmer, stirring regularly, for four hours. Strain mixture through a sieve (I disregarded this, being the 'whole foods' girl that I am, and just stuck a hand blender into the pan instead) into a clean saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat and then simmer for five minutes. Pour into warm sterilised bottles and seal immediately. Invert bottles briefly.
Store in a cool, dry and dark place for up to two years.
Makes approximately 7 litres (more like six in my opinion)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...